Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Summer Tennis Revival

Well, looky here...a second post...I am on a roll. :-)

This week started the summer tennis season, which for many, many, many years meant all tennis all the time, leaving me little time to actually enjoy the sport, ridiculously drained from the sun, and a little grumpy at times (haha).

Three years ago I decided it was time to see what a summer was like without teaching tennis. That summer was glorious and much-needed. Not to say that I did not like tennis, but I knew that I was approaching a point where I would never pick up a racquet again if I could help it, and I did not want to be that person. Therefore...the summer sans tennis lessons began...

This year I started getting the itch back...I wanted to teach tennis again! Therefore, I am back on the court (not the whole day...but enough to already possess some sweet tan lines), and I am actually enjoying myself. Some of you may think, 'It's just tennis...come on now...," but for someone who over-analyzes every move and puts more pressure on herself than necessary, it was never 'just tennis.'

I was inspired at church on Sunday when Danny used the Colossians verse that I have always had underlined in my Bible, but I could never really apply it to the tennis area of my life...."Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord..." Colossians 3:23. I think God has an ironic sense of humor, seeing how I started tennis the next day after hearing this sermon. I took this verse to heart this time, and I am enjoying tennis again.

It's good to be back! :-) Also on a rainy day like this I am reminded of the good ole times when we prayed and rain-danced for the rain to come, and we always ended up playing left-handed/barefoot tennis whenever clinic was actually canceled.

No comments:

Post a Comment